Most of us have heard that old adage, 'Laughter is the best medicine'. But is it really the best thing that you can do to lift your mood? Research confirms what most of us knew, that laughter may not be the best medicine but it does have many benefits such as;
· Lowering stress hormones.
· Augmenting whatever medication you are on.
· Boosting your immune system.
· Intercepting emotional messages from the hypothalamus to the frontal cortex enabling the logic brain to engage properly.
· Releasing the 'feel-good' drug endorphin.
· Lowering blood pressure.
· A great workout for your abdominal muscles.
Here are some lesser known facts about laughter;
· A consequence of laughing with others is that it brings people together for social support.
· Laughter plays a part in attracting the opposite sex. Men like women who laugh.
· Both sexes like to laugh, but females laugh more than men, by at least 126 percent more than men in fact. Men like to make others laugh.
· Laughter is an important critical index of a healthy relationship
· Laughter in a relationship declines as people age.
· Just like yawning, laughter is contagious; the laughter of others encourages us to laugh.
· Black humour is often used by those in emergency services to manage the negative impact of terrible events.
Here are some ways to encourage laughter;
· Watch funny movies and TV shows
· Go to see a comedian live
· Tell jokes
· Spend time with funny people
· Laugh at yourself when you make a mistake