Here are a few resilience tips to manage the daily pressures at work;
- At the beginning of the day, look at the list you made the day before to ensure the priority hasn’t changed.
- If you read an email, deal with it. Don’t go back to it as this is double handling.
- Deal with the difficult stuff first thing in the morning while your brain is still fresh and you can think clearly. (And you may have thought of a solution overnight for difficult problems).
- Prepare for difficult meetings 30 minutes beforehand so that your brain is still thinking about the planning process when you go into the meeting.
- Immediately after the meeting, go to your action points and complete them. If you leave them for later you may lose some of the context.
- Don’t eat at your desk – desks are for working not relaxing.
- Take 5 minutes every hour to go to the toilet, get a glass of water, or just walk once around the floor.
- Write your priority list for the coming day at least an hour before you leave work as you will always think of something else an hour after you have made the list.
- Slow yourself down, if you go like a bull at a gate all day your brain will take longer to slow down once you get home.